02/08/2020 | How Can I Get Rid of Gnats?
Gnats are incredibly annoying. These aggravating creatures are a burden to anyone that faces them. Businesses are particularly vulnerable to the potential problems gnats can pose. That’s why it’s important to know how to get rid of gnats.
Nobody wants to go to a bar, cafe, or restaurant with flies, right? Luckily, you have the experts to help you. Assured is here to teach you everything you need to know to find, wipe out, and prevent gnats.
What are gnats?
Gnats are small flies. Common species of gnat include fungus gnats, midges, sand flies, fruit flies, and black gnats. They're so small that sometimes they're colloquially referred to as "no-see-ums." Their bodies are typically black, have three segments, six legs, and one to two pairs of wings. They prefer living in dark and damp places like dumpsters, drains, gutters, basements, and bathrooms.
What attracts gnats?
Getting rid of a gnat infestation is one thing. Preventing it from happening in the first place is another. The best way to prevent and get rid of gnats is to make sure they can’t get what they want around you. Gnats are primarily attracted to three things. They are:
- Sweetness. This includes virtually anything that gives off a sweet scent, including sugar, fruit, sucrose, honey and even flowers. Gnats are even attracted to soaps, perfumes, lotions, and other personal hygiene products. If it reminds them of sugar, gnats will be eager to get at it.
- Moisture. Most varieties of gnats are attracted to the combination of moisture and heat. They’re particularly attracted to overwatered gardens and water features like ponds or fountains. Gnats often congregate around unnoticed standing water in the out of the way or underutilized areas of larger commercial buildings like warehouses.
- Vinegar. Gnats are attracted to vinegar more than almost anything. This one probably isn’t the reason you have gnats (unless you keep all kinds of vinegar on hand all the time), but it can actually work to your advantage.
How can I get rid of gnats?
Many do-it-yourself gnat removal efforts are only effective in smaller spaces. If your business is operating in a large multi-floor property, warehouse, or similar large space, you'll probably need professional assistance to get rid of gnats. If you want to remove gnats from part of your business now, however, here are a couple of techniques you could try:
- Flypaper. Flypaper isn't aesthetically pleasing, but it will catch gnats. You could try both ribbon paper and window flypaper. This is a great option for businesses that don't have to worry as much about maintaining a certain aesthetic.
- Vinegar traps. Remember when we said that gnats love vinegar? You can exploit that love to trap them. Create a mixture of one half-cup of warm water, two tablespoons of vinegar (apple cider vinegar is the best because of its natural sweetness), and a squeeze of dish soap. This, mixed, in containers and placed strategically, will trap gnats quite effectively. The sweet vinegar draws them in and they get stuck in the dish soap.
If the do it yourself methods we’ve listed aren’t enough to quell your gnat problem, there’s another option. That option is calling the professionals at Assured Environments. We are experts in removing pest problems like gnats with as little disruption to your business as possible. Gnats are gnat a problem for our team.