01/05/2022 | How Do I Get Rid of Bugs that Love Humidity?
You may not like the humidity, but bugs do. When the air is thick with heat and water vapor, multi legged pests are at their happiest. Many insects even have a type of “sixth sense” for humidity; they use this sense to seek out the moisture they need to live and thrive.
A bug’s love for humidity is why summer is their favorite time of year—it can be quite humid all season. Just because they’re here, however, doesn’t mean you have to give these bugs what they want. Here are a few ways to fight back against the insects that thrive in summer humidity.
What bugs thrive in humidity?
Some of the most common sauna loving bugs include:
These and other pests need moisture to survive. Finding a warm humid place to live and lay their eggs keeps their population heathy and happy. Add in a reliable food source and you’ll soon have a full infestation on your hands.
Look for these pests in warm humid areas like bathrooms and kitchens as well as in basements near your furnace or water heater. Pests are also attracted to drippy faucets and leaky pipes that provide an easy source of moisture.
How do I keep bugs away in the humidity?
Don’t let opportunistic pests wreak havoc on your space! Reduce the effect of humidity on insects near you. Follow our tips on how to keep bugs away in the heat and humidity of summer.
Get a humidistat
A humidistat is like a thermostat, except it monitors humidity conditions inside your building instead of temperature. When humidity levels are above 70% relative humidity, it becomes a breeding ground for bugs and mold.
With a humidistat, you’ll be able to see when the humidity in your building is too high; you’ll be able to do something about it as quickly as possible. The humidistat will allow you to monitor vapor levels and keep your building comfortable and safe.
Update moisture treatment capabilities
The first thing to do is figure out what tools you have available for moisture control. Then, make sure those tools work as effectively as they should. As yourself these questions:
- When was the last time a professional serviced my building’s sump pump?
- Do I have a whole-building dehumidifying system? If not, do I at least have individual units in problem areas, like the basement?
- Have I installed vapor barriers in basement areas or crawl spaces?
- When was the last time I checked that the drainage systems are working correctly?
A little maintenance goes a long way when it comes to pest control! By maintaining and dry and uninviting environment, you discourage pests from entering and congregating in your home.
How to reduce humidity in your house or business
Your ideal indoor humidity should be between 30-50%. When your humidity spikes above that range, reduce the moisture in your air to make it more comfortable for you and less comfortable for pests using any of these methods:
- Turn on the AC. Cold air has less room to hold moisture. By reducing the temperature, you reduce the humidity.
- Ventilate. Especially after hot showers or when cooking, turn on exhaust fans. Open windows and use fans to exhaust warm air and blow cooler air in.
- Repair Leaks. Leaky pipes and faucets add moisture to the air, attract pests and are an expensive hazard. Check and repair your plumbing regularly. Leaks under your foundation can be especially detrimental.
- Install a dehumidifier. Add a dehumidifier to your HVAC system or simply purchase portable units to keep specific areas dry. A dehumidifier works by drawing in the warm air, blowing it over cool coils and collecting the condensed water in a reservoir.
Keep maintenance up to date
You can prevent pests in your building, but you can’t prevent them outside. The best way to keep those insects out is by making sure they can’t get inside in the first place. Keep pests out by:
- Paying attention to the perimeter of your property by inspecting it regularly.
- Keep any organic waste away from outdoor walls.
- Repair cracks or holes as soon as you find them.
The more thoroughly you exclude pests, the lower your risk of infestation!
What can Assured do about my pest infestation?
Remember: if pests don’t leave despite your best efforts, the pest control experts at Assured Environments are ready to help. Our commercial pest control services are designed to effectively get rid of the nuisance pests commonly found in New York homes and businesses.
Our effective services are guaranteed to meet the highest quality in commercial pest control standards. We implement exclusion, sanitation, and on-chemical options. If you can’t seem to shake pests from your property, get in touch with Assured today!