Cockroaches are by far one of the most disgusting insects that could infest your home. Roaches, on their own, can generally be taken care of easily; however, it must be disposed of properly. One dead roach, left indisposed of, will result in a number of other cockroaches appearing to feed off of it. The primary question amongst homeowners when they see a cockroach is whether they need an exterminator NYC. In most cases, you can take care of the cockroach problem on your own. Here’s some helpful information:
- Even if you see only one roach, there may be many more hiding somewhere in your home.
- Cockroaches despise the light. They will hide in whatever cubbies and cracks that they can find, also infesting your walls.
- If you only see a roach or two, you can eliminate the threat with boric acid. However, be very careful with boric acid, as it is a strong and toxic chemical resulting in burns to your skin and possibly death to any pets that come in contact with it.
- Boric acid is most effective when applied under sinks, behind kitchen appliances, behind the toilet and in any cubbies or cracks as well as around moist areas. It also doesn’t hurt to apply it in HVAC closets and on top of kitchen and tall bathroom cabinets.
- Roaches are attracted to water, so the best place to capture them (when using traps) is under sinks and other moist areas.
- Dead roaches need to be disposed of immediately and the area should be thoroughly cleaned to avoid other roaches being attracted to the corpse’s scent and infesting your home.
- When cleaning up after dead roaches, it is better to use ammonia – not bleach – as it the most efficient cleaning method against cockroaches and other pests.
If you still see cockroaches around your home after following the above tips, you may need to call in an exterminator in NYC, such as Assured Environments, for assistance in combating your cockroach problem. Assured Environments is the leader in pest control management in the greater NY area. Available 24/7/365, we can quickly and efficiently eliminate your cockroach problem and provides numerous other services, including LEED, fly management and food safety, drain cleaning, chute cleaning, bird control and pest control management for other insects other than cockroaches, especially bed bugs.